November 3, 2014

Raining like crazy in the Jungle

Dearest Family,
 This week has been a whirlwind. We`ve had many interviews and pre interviews for baptism with our investigators. We`ve also been preparing for the marriage of Familia Mozombite! There hasn`t been as much teaching as we`ve liked this week because of it, but, we found a new family to teach! Rut (12) and her mom (who is single) Enit. We met Rut several weeks ago (she lives on the same street as all of those kids that I took a picture with). I started talking to her, practicing her English. We`ve taught them the lesson on the Restoration. Both are praying to know if the Book of Mormon is true. There was a sweet spirit in the home as we taught. 

My spanish is improving. It is far from perfect, but I feel more comfortable teaching and bearing testimony. Just yesterday we had a great Gospel Principles lesson. There was good attendance and a great spirit as we taught about Temple and Family History work. It went really well-my companion and I are teaching with better unity. I will send a picture of our white board as I told my companion that this is the way my mom teaches her lessons. All of the people in attendance liked our lesson! 

Last Monday I had my first FHE (or Noche de Hogar) here in the jungle. We taught the Restoration, played some games--(super funny to play in Spanish :) and then had our "dessert". It was at the home of F. Quio (recent converts). They had Familia Mozombite and Rogner and Victoria over. It was a great night as Rogner finally accepted the invitation to be baptized!! The past couple of lessons, he has skillfully dodged the question, but that night he committed to pray about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon again and be baptized when he finds out it was true. The only bummer was that his wife Victoria wasn`t there during most of the lesson and night--their son Larry--he`s 6 and they think he has autism. He doesn`t do to well in social situations. We will continue to work and pray for this family!

Well--to end the week, we`ve had a runaway investigator. After interviewing Junior, Elder Gonzalez our District Leader felt that perhaps we should wait to baptize. Junior was really disappointed and since then, we haven`t been able to find him. Yeah.... As missionaries we are imperfect!! The situation could have been handled better--but we are learning! We have faith that we will be able to find him and help him prepare for the sacred ordinance of baptism. 

All is well here in the jungle! We get soaked on a daily basis from the rain, our rainboots are more for the protection from the mud (it is treacherous walking up the muddy hills :) But all is well. I am getting more and more accustomed to it all--I feel like I know our ward better and our investigators as well. God is good. I continually feel strength from the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Although this mission isn`t about me, I feel like I am learning so much each day. Just yesterday as I read 2 Corn 9:6. It talks about we will reap what we sow--scarce or bountiful. Let us reap bountifully!--seek out the interesting experiences, advantages, opportunites. Learn, develop our talents, stretch our of our comfort zones. We are here to progress and grow--let`s not waste time. I know that our here I am reaping bountifully--it is such a privilege to be under the mandate of Jesus Christ and his 12 apostles to preach the gospel. The good news of the gospel!! Let us always cherish this knowledge that the Lord has give us.

I am well! I love and miss you all dearly but I really am happy to be out here.

Much Love,

Hermana Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment