January 19, 2015

Christmas in the Jungle

Dear Family,
I cannot tell you how wonderful it was to see all of your smiling faces on Christmas morning--the conversations of each one of you keeps running through my mind at different parts of the day. I feel so blessed to feel so much love and support from back home. It really does help me to just take it one day at a time and keep pressing forward.
After we skyped that morning Hermana Arone skyped with her family while I slept. We had lunch with our pensionista and then headed back to the Lage Family to have dinner and watch the best two years. We ended Christmas singing in the Plaza with all the missionaries from my Zone. It really was a great Christmas--it was very simple, but for me I it will always be one of my treasures in heaven. I will never forget it.
Other than Christmas we have been teaching our heads off. Each day we put on our bug spray, strap on our mission bags, grab our umbrellas and head out. Less Actives, Investigadors, Recent Converts--each day our planner is full of lessons. One memorable lesson was with Cristian (Less Active) and Liz (Investigator). They have 3 darling girls. I am so hoping the family progresses. We had a lesson on the Gospel of Jesus Christ--faith, repentance, baptism, and marriage as they are not yet married (no one here is married). I really like Liz-- I can tell that she is a strong woman. Very honest about her current situation in life. She wants to change, she wants to be happy. Her husband is a bit of a bum but has a willing heart. The Spirit was present as we testified of the power of the gospel and how it is the key to lasting happiness.

 As we left the appointment and walked to the next I started to think about the inner strength that I`ve seen in the women in my life and really the kind of woman I want to be. It`s not neccessarily strength that the world thinks of, rather it is a quiet dignity, a spiritual strength and power that we should seek after. The kind of strength that is the means of doing hard things. To have the courage to look and evaluate our lives honestly and make the neccessary changes to align our lives to the Teachings and Gospel of Jesus Christ.

On Sunday it rained which meant that many did not come to church. Almost none of our Recent Converts or Investigadors came to church--BUT we had two of Less Actives come. Hermana Josefa (60--blind since her 30s) and her Daughter Diana (40s). They are sharp with there knowledge of the gospel. And so dear. We found Hermana Josefa through a boy that came up to us on the street. He told us that there was a lady that wanted us to vist her. And from there we found her daughter Diana and from there we have begun to teach her two daughters. Love it when that happens!!
Anyways life is good. It is definitely a roller coaster but it is somehow worth. Although somedays it doesn`t always feel that way, I know that is is something for the Lord.

Love you all--Happy New Year! Wow 2015--where did the time go??
XOXO, Hermana Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment